Thursday, March 22, 2012

Inspiration

The hard work paid off!  I ran my most recent half marathon in Washington, DC last weekend, and I was delighted that my time was the best yet!  I have to credit some of my success to the inspiration all around me on the run.  Cherry blossoms blooming, the White House sitting in the background, and Lincoln Memorial standing before me, all pushed me to work hard...just like the famous historians and military members honored throughout the city. 

I have decided that DC is one of my favorite places!  It has it all.  Public transportation, green areas to play and relax in, history, museums (FOR FREE), and really nice people.  My only regret is that we had to slam so much into two days.  I guess that means we will just have to return!  When we do go back, I will need some insider information on where to EAT!   Surprisingly we had the hardest time finding restaurants.  I mean, it's vacation.  What is more important than FOOD???  Especially after you run 13.1 miles :)

Inspired.  That is what I felt after leaving Washington, DC.  Inspired by the respect for history.  Arlington Cemetary where the respect and graditude hung in the air.  Inspired by the runners in the race, including one man who was running near me with only one leg.  The next time I even think about complaining about pain, I will remember him and all he endured to finish the race.  Inspired by the monuments making sure Americans remember the history of the US and how we got to where we are today.  Inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment