Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tidbit of Trivia Tuesday

While reading Runner's World, I came across this bit of information.  I know you didn't ask, but I thought I would share anyway. 

Did you know that you can be a better runner by improving your arm strength?  Just another reason to get rid of your wiggle!

"When you run, your arms counterbalance the motion of your legs, resulting in saved energy.  The swing of the arms helps propel the body forward so the lower body isn't doing all the work.  And a strong upper body bolsters a runner's form when fatigue sets in."

Saved energy?  I am sure I could use some of that!

Here's some suggestions from Runner's World to strengthen your upper body.
1. Chair dips
2. Push-ups
3. Rows

Guess the next time I am at the Y, I'll be trying out the rowing machine!  However, make sure not to laugh, because it really looks like coordination is needed on that thing.  Coordination is totally something I am not an expert of...so a small giggle might be ok :)

No comments:

Post a Comment