Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012...Courage

"All it takes is 20 seconds of insane courage and great things will happen.  I promise." Benjamin Mee in We Bought a Zoo

Courage: the power or quality of dealing with or facing danger, fear, pain, etc.

I love this quote!  It's so true.  20 seconds is all it takes to decide to do something new, something awesome, something for you.

2011 brought many new things out in me.  Looking back on the year I am proud of my accomplishments, the friendships that grew, the new things I tried.  I started speaking up for myself.  I'm not accepting apologies that are just words with no actions to support it.  I've realized who my true friends are, who my support team is, how important family is.  I've accepted me for who I am.  So, what next?  What will I chose to do?  What do I need courage to do this year?

I can think of two things.  One, I'd like to begin working on my Doctorate.  I really, I mean REALLY want to teach at the college level.  This is my dream.  I've wanted to do this for a few years, but I am nervous.  I don't like to do new things by myself.  I rely on others to lean on.  BUT, I cannot seem to talk anyone into jumping into the venture on my own.  (So, are YOU interested in joining me???) Plus, I am not sure what I want to concentrate on.  Plus, all that time...am I ready to devote all that time to studying, research, and writing?  PLUS, do I have the courage to do it?  Will I be good at teaching that level of education?  Where will I find a job?  STOP.  Courage, right?

The other thing is running a full marathon.  I have been playing around with this idea for a bit, but I honestly don't know if my body is capable of such a task.  Plus, the training.  Do I have the time?  Plus, again...who will do it with me???  (Again, I need the support.  Can NOT imagine running 20+ miles all by myself.)  Do I have the courage to try?  So what if I end up walking part of it, right?  Like NIKE says, "Just do it."

I know there are several other things I will need courage to accomplish this year.  As they come up, I am sure I will write about them.  IF I decide to use that 20 seconds of courage to go back to school or sign up for a marathon, you will know.  I will need YOU, your support, your push!

Let 2012 be the year that you decide to act on that courage and do something!  What will it be for you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment